On behalf of the Wind Energy Technologies Office, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) intends to issue a Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) entitled U.S. Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium FOA.
The four-year initiative will support and broaden the EERE offshore wind energy research and development (R&D) project portfolio. The U.S. Offshore Wind Consortium Research and Development FOA will solicit an administrator to lead a consortium of stakeholder members committed to collaborative, mutually beneficial R&D focused on addressing U.S.-specific offshore wind technology challenges, including (but not limited to): wind plant technology advancement; wind power resource and physical site characterization; and installation, operations and maintenance, and supply chain technology solutions in order to reduce the cost of offshore wind in the U.S. EERE plans to make a single $18.5M award with an additional $2M to be allocated directly from DOE to DOE/NNSA Federally Funded Research and Development Centers to carry out R&D activities prioritized by the consortium.
Access the complete notice at Notice_of_Intent_to_Issue_DE-FOA-0001767_U.S.
EERE aims to accelerate the development of offshore wind technologies in the U.S. by supporting fundamental and applied research to reduce the levelized cost of offshore wind energy to successfully compete in regional energy markets. The creation of a cooperative, public‐private Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium will maximize the impact of EERE’s research and development funding while addressing the needs of the nascent U.S. offshore wind industry. Through this consortium, EERE will establish shared investment in a portfolio of research projects, ranging from innovative, early‐stage conceptual research, to the validation and testing of these innovative concepts. Consequently, EERE is seeking an organization to function as consortium administrator that can:
- Administer competitive solicitations to address the research agenda defined by the consortium members and EERE;
- Attract key industry players as members, with specific focus on attracting offshore wind developers and state entities actively involved in the development of offshore wind;
- Provide strong leadership and establish a robust business model to leverage expertise and external funding; and
- Serve as a primary point of contact for the consortium, with full accountability to EERE.
The high‐level objectives of the Offshore Wind Research and Development Consortium include the following:
- Creating a world‐leading innovation hub that brings together private and public entities to co‐invest in the research, development and validation of innovative offshore wind technologies;
- Attracting a membership body that can develop a prioritized research agenda which will include a diverse portfolio of projects addressing fundamental and applied technology research that is needed to lower the cost of offshore wind energy in the U.S.;
- Maximizing public funds by establishing an industry cost‐matching structure, with a minimum ratio of 1‐to‐1 public to private investment; and
- Ensuring participation in research projects by world‐class researchers including those at national laboratories, universities, private industry, not‐for‐profits, etc., and leveraging relevant existing private and public sector resources and facilities such as industry laboratories, university centers, national laboratories, and other government‐supported resources.
EERE also expects the following:
- That the consortium administrator provide the strong leadership necessary to establish a robust business model, and be able to attract research and development membership to participate in the consortium in order to match or exceed federal funding provided;
- In order to maximize federal funding, that the administrative costs of the consortium are kept to minimum, and capped at no more than 10% of the total consortium funding;
- That the business model employed by the administrator is one that will attract world‐class researchers from universities, national laboratories, private industry, etc. for participation in the consortium research agenda and projects.
This is a Notice of Intent (NOI) only. EERE may issue a FOA as described, may issue a FOA that is significantly different from the FOA described, or EERE may not issue a FOA at all. No applications will be accepted through this notice. Please do not submit questions or respond to this Notice of Intent.
For questions related to the EERE Exchange website only. DOE will not respond to questions regarding this Notice of Intent.
- Full Application Submission Deadline: TBD