Job Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday with some weekends as necessary, 8-12 hours per day
Travel Required: Yes, 50%
Salary: Commensurate with experience, plus overtime and full benefits
Date Available: IMMEDIATELY
REMSA Inc. is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Field Engineering Technician with a background in marine technology and electronics to work on a long-term project for one of their clients in Chesapeake, VA. The team travels extensively along the east coast of the United States from Maine to the Gulf of Mexico and throughout the entire Great Lakes region to perform their duties. This position requires someone who is flexible and able to travel on short notice, understands and possesses an interest in the mechanics of oceanography and marine navigation, and is able to perform the physical requirements of the position.
The incumbent will be part of a team of personnel that works to install, maintain, and monitor a platform of highly precise instrumentation that measures a variety of oceanographic parameters throughout the United States. Information gathered from these instruments are used to predict tides and storm surges, aid in navigation, and is essential the protection of property in areas near bodies of water.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Test, configure, set-up, install and maintain a variety of field instruments (current measurement systems, water level sensors, meteorological and oceanographic sensors, and data collection platforms) and/or support components
- Assist with the construction and repairs of structural elements associated with instrumentation
- Assist with the deployment and retrieval of instruments off vessels
- QA/QC-Analyze and interpret technical data collected, detect issues, and take corrective actions (Quality Assurance/Quality Control)
- Tend to & assist divers in the field
- Maintain and inventory shop equipment, vehicles, tools, and other equipment used in the field
- Complete reports and prepare documentation associated with all assigned work tasks
- Safely operate a motor vehicle
- Communicate within the team & other divisions utilizing data from instrumentation
Must have a valid Driver’s License & Clean Driving Record
Must be able to operate a forklift
Must be able to pass background screening in order to obtain CAC and TWIC clearance
Must be a U.S. Citizen or have authorization to work in the U.S.
The incumbent may be required to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as a respirator, safety glasses, hearing protectors, special clothing etc. incumbent may be exposed to excessive heat; dust or fumes; electrical energy; slippery or uneven walking surfaces; working around machinery with moving objects or vehicles in confined spaces. Position requires moderate lifting (15-45 pounds) and heavy carrying of 45 pounds and over. Duties requires reaching, prolonged walking, standing, kneeling, bending, and climbing. Incumbent must work long hours periodically (8-12 hours per day) with regular and recurring overtime expected during travel.
Education: Bachelor's degree or higher in Ocean/Marine Technology or Electronic Engineering, or related field (or equivalent experience)
Skills: A background in Oceanography/Marine Science, Electronics experience, Instrumental Analysis
- Ability to use multimeters and/or test and calibration equipment for electronic testing and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of field engineering practices. Ability to read and follow technical drawings, plans, diagrams & specifications
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team
- Self-starter, able to work effectively with minimal direct supervision
- Construction experience including use of a variety of common hand and power tools
- High level of proficiency in operating PCs
- Ability to use software applications including word processor, spreadsheet, and data entry/manipulation programs
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Maritime experience is a plus
- SCUBA experience is a plus
- Experience in surveying methods & techniques is a plus
This is a Full Time position with hourly wages based on qualifications and experience
Benefits package includes: 401(k), Health & Life Insurance, Short & Long Term Disability, accrued paid time off (PTO), Tuition & Professional Training Reimbursements
Interested applicants should send the following application materials:
- Detailed resume documenting all relevant experience, education, and skills
- Cover letter outlining why you would be a good fit for this position and your salary requirements
- Have at least 3 professional references available to be contacted at a later date.
Be sure to refer to position title in responses.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered
Please note: A completed employment application is required to move to the next phase of the hiring process. Click here to complete employment application & optional self identification form.
Application Deadline: Until filled
REMSA Inc. Supports a Drug Free Work Place
EOE of Minorities/Females/Vets/Disability