The Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection and Restoration Act (CWPPRA) Public Outreach team is seeking an Outreach Coordinator to lead CWPPRA’s Public Outreach program.
The U.S. Geological Survey has contracted with Cherokee Nation Technologies (CNT) to support various USGS programs, including CWPPRA Public Outreach. CNT is hiring this full-time, highly motivated, leadership position in our Lafayette office at the USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center. This position educates the public about Coastal Louisiana land-loss prevention and protection projects and requires creativity and strong skills in communication and outreach, public speaking, publication design and creation, and team production.
- Develop creative outreach and educational products related to Louisiana coastal efforts.
- Interact and maintain relationships with government and non-government entities to further the understanding of coastal processes and possible remedies.
- Direct involvement in the creation of program and project documents ranging from short fact sheets to comprehensive reports to Congress.
- Develop new outreach programs/activities, educational and scientific synthesis material.
- Develop content for handouts, outlines, and other aides to assist legislators, teachers, and the general public in understanding the extent of coastal loss. Examples include newsletter articles, flyers to publicize the CWPPRA website and other CWPPRA media events, news releases, PowerPoint presentations, and new content for the CWPPRA website.
- Perform approximately eight updates per month of the CWPPRA community calendar as requested by the CWPPRA task force.
- Plan and coordinate an annual project dedication ceremony; seek out and participate in multiple outreach events, including exhibiting at local, state, and national conferences/workshops/meetings; update the CWPPRA outreach strategic plan as requested.
- Perform monthly website updates to include calendar of events, news releases, and project overviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Experience in coastal restoration efforts
- Ability to act as a liaison between the public, Parish, State, and multiple federal agencies involved in CWPPRA
- Knowledge and experience in creating Power point presentations; Microsoft skills and knowledge
- Ability to plan and lead quarterly CWPPRA (Coastal Wetlands Planning, Protection and Restoration Act) outreach committee meetings
- Ability to present outreach status at quarterly Task Force meetings, and represent outreach at approximately four technical committee meetings per year
- Ability to coordinate changes to the website, maintain calendar of events, news releases, and assume project overview responsibilities
- Excellent communications and presentation skills
- High level of organizational skills
- Ability to travel; mainly locally in Louisiana
- Teaching experience and compliance knowledge a plus
This is a contract position with Cherokee Nation Technologies located at the USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center in Lafayette, LA.
Interested candidates may apply here: Outreach Position Announcment