Deadline for application: 25 February 2018
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for basic and applied marine and freshwater research. The institute’s research comprises a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. NIVA’s world-class expertise is multidisciplinary with a broad scientific scope. They combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
The NIVA group has approximately 340 employees. NIVA´s head office is in Oslo with regional offices in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, a research station at Drøbak (Oslofjord), as well as subsidiaries in Tromsø and Chile.
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is recruiting a researcher (Senior Researcher or Researcher) with a strong profile within environmental economics, natural resources economics and / or circular economies. The position is in NIVA’s section for Water and Society consisting of about 10 researchers with backgrounds in social, economic and natural science, where central research themes are climate change and adaptation, freshwater including urban waters and marine water management and governance; environmental economics, ecosystems services assessment; private and public sector innovation, and participatory processes for stakeholder involvement. We work nationally and internationally, from local to global scales and note an increasing interest in our competencies on all levels. In addition to typical research projects we also conduct knowledge projects supporting capacity building, business development and innovation development for the public and private sectors.
- Strengthen and further develop NIVA’s economics expertise as applied to societal challenges and opportunities about economic aspects of marine, freshwater and urban water challenges and problems, the economic potential in aquatic natural resource use, e.g. blue growth related developments, and in the advancement of circular economy
- Work in an interdisciplinary manner with NIVA’s other researchers
- Proactively initiate new projects in dialogue with clients, users and research colleagues, internally and externally.
- Especially for the Senior Researcher, lead research projects for calls from Horizon 2020 and the Norwegian Research Council
- Supportively contribute to other NIVA projects both nationally and internationally.
- PhD and several years of experience in one or more of the following disciplines: environmental economics, natural resources economics and/or circular economies.
- Solid academic publication record.
- Documented experience from interdisciplinary project work, and for senior researchers - experience with acquisition and coordination of major transdisciplinary applied research & innovation projects in contract-based contexts.
- Relevant experience outside the academic sector will be an advantage, but not a requirement
- Familiarity with and mastering of a Scandinavian language is an asset, but not a requirement
- Some experience from the public or private sector will be an advantage, but not a requirement
- The ability to work analytically and structured – even under time pressure.
- The ability to design, organize and carry out projects, both practically and scientifically
- Proficiency in communicating with customers, users and research colleagues.
- The ability to work with a variety of tasks in co-operation with different project teams.
- Challenging tasks at the leading national water research institute with a comprehensive international network of contacts and partners
- Head office at the Oslo Science Park, nearby the University of Oslo, in which most partners within The Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Research (CIENS) are located.
- Stimulating work environment with capable and dedicated employees.
- Competitive conditions and salaries, pension plans and insurance benefits
Applicants might be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline.